Upgrading firmware on HP servers sucks and is a major pain in the ass
We use HP servers. I don’t like the fact that we do, but it is how it is.
I want do a simple task: Upgrade the firmware of the HP Smart Array P420 SAS RAID controller (which actually is a HP branded PMC-Sierra SRC 8x6G).
On probably every other RAID controller this is really easy: Lookup model type, Go to the manufacturer website, download firmware, flash firmware in web interface or with a Linux cli tool. With the HP Smart Array controller it I don’t even want to finish this sentence anymore.
Story of pain:
- Went to HP.com and put model name in the search box
- Clicked the product
- Oh wow the website loads like I’m on dialup
- Clicked download drivers and firmware
- Waiting for h20565.www2.hp.com…
- Page successfully loaded after 40 seconds wtf
- “There are no downloads available for this product” – are you kidding me?
- Also there is some text about the requirement to log in to download stuff like drivers and firmwares
- Page loaded, this time with the possibility to choose OS – why it has not worked before?
- Latest available firmware on website: 1.28 – actual firmware on controller: 3.54
- Wat? That’s not the latest firmware, website even says it is the initial release
- Use Google to actually find page for the latest firmware
- Latest firmware: 4.68
- Nice, finally found the current version (with the help from Google and not just how I am supposed to find it)
- Downloaded the firmware
- What kind of file is this? How do I flash it?
- Ohhh, looks like I need some shady HP Service Pack for ProLiant DVD to flash this file
- 3GB ISO to flash a 5MB firmware…
- No DVD drive in the server. *sigh* Okay, I need to mount the ISO in iLO and boot from there
- Trying to download the ISO
- Login required
- Okay, I have this HP.com login from another story of pain, so I’ll just use that one
- Login does not work anymore. Kept trying like 3 times, maybe I typed the password wrong
- *ponder* I have a German HP.com account, the website is English
- Changed language to German
- Logged in again, kind of worked – Why the hell I can’t use my account regardless of the language?
- Account is locked for one hour
- A day passed and I try to login again
- Now it says “Wrong password”
- As I don’t want my account to be locked again, I choose to reset my password via the ‘forgot password’ link
- Does not work. I get the following error: Required number of e-mail templates not entered.
- There is only one field which I can enter stuff – the e-mail address – clearly the fail of HPs website
You know what? I am giving up. I guess if I were able to log in this story would fill three more pages.
Fuck you HP. No really. Fuck you.